Saturday, February 26, 2011

A Penny for Molly Harper's Thoughts


A Brief Interview with Molly Harper, the Author of the Jane Jameson & Naked Werewolf series.

Bio:  Raised in Mississippi and Kentucky, Molly Harper graduated from Western Kentucky University with a bachelor's degree in print journalism. She worked for six years as a reporter and humor columnist; her reporting duties included covering courts, school board meetings, quilt shows, and once, the arrest of a Florida man who faked his suicide by shark attack and spent the next few months tossing pies at a local pizzeria. Molly lives in western Kentucky with her husband and daughter.



A Penny for Your Thoughts is a new feature on Lost Art Audio. It is similar to an author interview, except it is short, sweet, and focused on the audiobook.The first Penny for Your Thought comes from the author of recently reviewed How to Flirt with a Werewolf.  Muchos gracias to Molly Harper for taking to time to indulge my curiosity!

Read Lost Art Audio's review of How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf.



Q.   Have you given audiobooks a try? How about e-books and the like? Any preference? 
I adore listening to audiobooks. Here lately, the only way I can "read" is to listen to them on my morning and afternoon commutes. And I do listen to my own. I can experience the book in a way that makes it new to me, too. Other than print, it's my favorite format. I'm still getting used to e-books. 


Q.   The audiobook of How to Flirt With a Naked Werewolf is narrated by Amanda Ronconi, as are the three Jane Jameson novels. Even the non-preternatural And One Last Thing is narrated by Amanda Roncini. Are you acquainted with the actress? Have you ever met Ms. Roncini? 

I love Amanda Ronconi. She really "gets" my voice. I've never met her, though. I live in Paducah, KY, which is pretty much as far from the publishing world as you can get. If not for the internet and email, I'm not sure if I would be published!  




Q.   I'm sure you get this a lot, but your writing is hilarious. Have you ever done any stand-up comedy? Where did you develop your comedic style? Who are your favorite comedians?
Thanks! and no, I've never done stand up. I love it if I could, but I do not participate in any endeavors that involve public speaking. I panic in front of large crowds. (Because they're looking at me!) I become barely intelligible.

My comedic style can be blamed on my family. My parents have a very dry, sarcastic wit. And my writing voice is very much like my speaking voice. Some of my favorite comedians are Christopher Titus and Mitch Hedberg. Favorite Hedberg joke ever. "I wrote a screenplay and my friend read it and said I should re-write it. I said, 'F--- that, I'll just make a copy."

Q.    A little birdy told me that not only is there a 4th Jane Jameson book in the making, but two spin-offs with Half-Moon Hollow characters. Which characters? Any spoilers/teasers you're free to share? 

There WILL be a fourth Jane book published in March 2012. It's still untitled, and I can't tell you much beyond the fact that Jane and Gabriel will be planning their wedding... and you know that's not going to go smoothly. There will be two Half-Moon Hollow spin-off books, but I can't reveal anything about the plots. I can say that the characters will know Jane and she will appear in the books. But only as a background character.


 




















Q.   I already mentioned that your preternatural books are hilarious, and I'm sure you know how rare that is. What gave you the idea of doing an urban fantasy comedy?
I've always been interested in the paranormal. I checked those "Mysteries of the Paranormal" non-fiction books out of the school library so many times that the librarian sent a concerned note home to my mom. I loved Buffy and Angel, any show that mixed humor and horror won my undying loyalty. So when I decided to write, it was a natural fit that I would write about the supernatural.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free speech is a beautiful thing that I truly support but does not exist on this Site. If you use abusive or vulgar language, I will delete your comments. If you feel you have something very important to say, however abusive or vulgar, please feel free to start your own blog.